Strawberry season is right around the corner, and I’m really excited about making all kinds of deserts with them. This strawberry pretzel dessert recipe is so easy to make! I love how it combines the crunchy and salty pretzel with a soft layer of cream cheese and tops it off with gooey strawberry jello and fresh strawberries.
This strawberry pretzel dessert, also called strawberry pretzel salad (no idea why it’s called salad!) is a staple at our house all summer long.
Truth be told, we make it in the winter too (just use frozen strawberries).
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert Recipe
Start out making the crust: crush your pretzels, mix with the other ingredients and get it in the oven to bake.
While the crust is baking, prepare the strawberries.
If you are like me, you need more strawberries than the recipe asks for 😉
We have a pick your own strawberry patch in out town, and we LOVE freshly picked strawberries. I actually eat more strawberries while I prepare for this recipe than I put in 😛
Anyways, wash and slice your strawberries. I like to quarter them, but you can use them cut in half, or chop them up smaller: your choice!
Once you’re done preparing the fruit, check on your crust: it should be ready by now. Take it out and let it cool a bit.
While the crust is cooking off, prepare the cream cheese mixture and make the jello. then you’re ready to assemble everything and set in the fridge to chill.
- 2 cups pretzels (crushed )
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz whipped cream
- 2 oz strawberry gelatin dessert mix (3 oz packages)
- 2 cups water (boiling)
- 4 cups strawberries (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the crust, mix the pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Press this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar. Fold in the whipped cream, and spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and allow to cool slightly. Add the strawberries and pour over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, cut slices and serve with a dollop of whipped topping.
Variations for the the strawberry pretzel dessert recipe
This delicious, fruity dessert is best during the spring and summer months while fresh strawberries are in season. That doesn’t mean you can’t make it in the colder months with frozen fruit.
I prefer freezing my own fruit, but you can always make it with frozen fruit you buy.
I also love to make this dessert with other fruit. try blueberries, peaches and cherries. Delicious!
More delicious deserts to try