Summer is here, and with it, the need for quick, easy and refreshing meals. If you grow a garden, you probably already have loads of cucumbers ready to make this easy cucumber salad with dill and onions. If not, I’m sure there are lots of fresh cukes at your favorite grocery store!
This cucumber salad recipe goes really well next to grilled veggies, or your favorite chicken, fish or streak recipe.
I LOVE adding fresh dill from my garden to cucumbers for a flavorful, but simple salad that’s perfect for a hot summer day.
Here’s our dill harvest today and a bit of lettuce! We’ll dry some if it for winter.
All you need for this cucumber salad is some fresh cukes, dill, red onion (yellow is good too: just not as pretty), salt, oil and vinegar. It’s incredibly easy to make: really, it only takes a few minutes.
- 2 fresh cucumbers , sliced
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil , you can use your favorite oil here (I love avocado oil!)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped (you can use dried dill too)
- Wash and peel (optional) your cucumbers. I prefer leaving the peel on my cucumbers, unless they are the bitter kind.
- Slice the onions
- Clean and chop up the dill
- Add all ingredients together in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Serve next to your favorite summer meal (or just have it alone: it's that good!)
Tools For Peeling Cucumbers
You can absolutely peel and slice your cucumbers with a kitchen knife, but it’s faster and “prettier” if you use one of these peelers or slicers. I used the ribbon blade of this spiralizer to make the salad you see here.
Sunkuka Julienne Peeler Stainless Steel Cutter Slicer with Cleaning Brush Pro for Carrot Potato Melon Gadget Vegetable FruitZalik 5-Blade Spiralizer – Vegetable Spiral Slicer With Powerful Suction Base – Strong & Heavy Duty Veggie Pasta Spaghetti Maker for Low Carb/Paleo/Gluten-Free Meals With Extra Blade CaddyMueller Austria V-Pro 5 Blade Adjustable Mandoline Slicer – White/Grey
Variations of cucumber salad
You can enjoy this easy cucumber salad all summer long. But don’t stop there: create your own version of cukes salad by adding tomatoes, feta cheese, a yogurt dressing, etc.
Play with the way you cut the cucumbers too, for even more variation: slice them with a knife, use a ridged slicer, cut them in ribbons, or cube them.
Now go enjoy your cucumber salad!