Oh wow! If you haven’t had turtle candy, then you’re in for a melt-in-your-mouth crunchy chocolate treat! Just 4 simple ingredients, including chewy caramels and you’ve got an easy-to-make Christmas turtle candy recipe for Christmas time or any time.
The friend who gave us the recipe said this Christmas turtle candy recipe is a tradition in their family, that they make for themselves and to gift to others.
Turtle Candy is Great Any Time of Year
While Christmas turtle candy is a tradition for some, others enjoy it whenever they desire. However a search on Google revealed that the majority of people are making turtle candy recipes in January!
Most Popular Months to Make Turtle Candy – Listed from top to least
So if you’re here now, chances are you’re ready to make some awesome turtle candy now! So let’s do it!
Worried about the process of making candy? No need to: this homemade turtle candy recipe as easy as it gets. Only a few ingredients and a few minutes and you’re done!
You can use the pecans right out of the bag, but if you want to take your final taste up a few notches, you’ll want to roast them.
How do you roast pecans?
Roasting pecans is easy: toss them with a bit of melted butter and salt, arrange them in a single layer in a baking pan, and stick them in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes at 325 degrees, depending on your oven.
Take them out when slightly darkened. Mmmm… I can almost smell these! So good!
Christmas Turtle Candy Recipe
- 1 8 oz package caramels
- 2 T heavy cream
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 pound milk chocolate or 16/1 oz squares semi-sweet chocolate
- Melt caramels in the 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in a double boiler over hot water.
- Arrange pecans halves in groups of 4-5 on a greased waxed paper.
- Spoon caramel mixture into a small mound in the middle of the nuts. (The caramel should partially cover the nuts to keep them in place).
- Let stand until caramel is set.
- In a double boiler, over hot water, melt chocolate, stirring gently.
- Using a small spoon, coat caramel with melted chocolate.
- Let stand until chocolate is firm or refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
The chocolate turtle candy is great not only for Christmas, but also an excellent for baby showers, wedding favors, birthday treats and more.
Once you make some, you’ll make turtle candy again and again: they’re addictive!