Love chocolate? Me too! And mixed up with some crunchy pecan halves and chewy, creamy, delicious caramels…. YUM! Making Christmas turtle candy has become a tradition in our home. We make some for ourselves and make lots to gift to others.
Worried about the process of making candy? No need to: this homemade turtle candy recipe as easy as it gets. Only a few ingredients and a few minutes and you’re done!
You can use the pecans right out of the bag, but if you want to take your final taste up a few notches, you’ll want to roast them.
How do you roast pecans?
Roasting pecans is easy: toss them with a bit of melted butter and salt, arrange them in a single layer in a baking pan, and stick them in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes at 325 degrees, depending on your oven.
Take them out when slightly darkened. Mmmm… I can almost smell these! So good!
Christmas Turtle Candy Recipe
You will need:
- 1 (8 oz) package caramels (I got this 5LB package of caramel squares: they are delicious!)
- 2 T heavy cream
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 pound milk chocolate (or 16/1 oz squares semi-sweet chocolate)
- Melt caramels in the 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in a double boiler over hot water.
- Arrange pecans halves in groups of 4-5 on a greased waxed paper.
- Spoon caramel mixture into a small mound in the middle of the nuts. (The caramel should partially cover the nuts to keep them in place).
- Let stand until caramel is set.
- In a double boiler, over hot water, melt chocolate, stirring gently.
- Using a small spoon, coat caramel with melted chocolate.
- Let stand until chocolate is firm or refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container.
The chocolate turtle candy is great not only for Christmas, but also an excellent for baby showers, wedding favors, birthday treats and more.
Once you make some, you’ll make turtle candy again and again: they’re addictive!