This creamy broccoli and onion casserole recipe is delicious, yet quick and easy to prepare.
We like to use fresh vegetable whenever possible, but if you’re in a hurry, you can use pre-chopped frozen broccoli cooked according to package directions.
If using fresh broccoli be sure to include the peeled and chopped stems for they provide great food value and taste just as good as the florets. Just be sure to chop off the end that may have become dry and hardened, and peel the outer skin which can be tough.
This simple broccoli and onion casserole recipe pleases most palates and is a great way to entice picky eaters to eat more broccoli.
Broccoli & Onion Casserole
- 1 lb broccoli chopped small
- 2 cups onions chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3 ounce package cream cheese (sit out to soften)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Cook chopped broccoli and onions until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter, stir in flour, salt, and a dash of pepper.
- Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cream cheese; cook and stir 1-2 minutes then stir in cooked broccoli and onions.
- Pour and spread into a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.
More Broccoli & Onion Casserole Ideas
There are many other ways to adapt this recipe to use other ingredients you may have on hand, or that you can plan for in future. You can try adding one or more of these to the original batter.
- Layer the baking pan with your favorite crackers for a quick and easy crust before adding the batter.
- Stir in leftover cooked chicken that’s, diced, sliced or shredded
- Add 6-12 raw eggs, whisked or blended to scramble, for an egg bake breakfast casserole
- Substitute or include cooked scallions or leeks instead of regular onions for additional green nutrients and color.
Appetizers – Dip or Spread
You can chop broccoli and onions in a food processor to dice or mince before adding to the cream cheese mix.
- FOR A HOT DIP OR SPREAD
- Pulverize the veggies, then prepare and back according to directions.
- Serve directly from casserole dish as a hot or warm dip or spread for crackers.
- FOR A COLD DIP OR SPREAD
- You can either blend all ingredients together for a cold dip and skip the baking
- Optional to place the breadcrumb mixture on top or blend into the dip batter. If you opt to blend it, just save a few crumbs to sprinkle on the top for garnish.
Please let us know if you have any questions and we’d love to hear how it goes for you, and any creative additions of substitutions you make. You can comment below or write to us.