I’m always looking for recipes that are, quick, easy, and healthy. With 2 kids in tow, on days I’m ruing errands I’m really tempted to get fast food. Of course I know that’s not the best for either one of us. So I try to keep a variety of pizza dough on hand, to be able to quickly whip up this pear Gorgonzola pizza.
Pear Gorgonzola Pizza With Arugula
One of the gems in this recipe is the arugula. Arugula isn’t just another lettuce, it is actually a cruciferous vegetable, like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or kale. That means it packs a nutritious punch just like a leafy green.
Arugula is rich in nitrates, which researchers believe are good at inactivating cancer causing chemicals found in preservatives and other places in our environment. It is also a good source of vitamin K, which is great at helping regulate and metabolize calcium. Arugula is loaded with Vitamin C, antioxidants, folate, B vitamins, potassium, the list just goes on and on.
I make pizza for my family a few times a month. Most of the time I make the crust from scratch, which is also easy, but does take prep time.
With this recipe, I’m going for something quick, so I use prepackaged pizza crust. Another thing that makes this pizza quick, is that the toppings are fresh, so there is no worry of having to melt the cheese, or bake veggies. Just slice up the pears, and clean the arugula while the crust is in the oven.
The arugula has a peppery flavor that goes well with the pears. The cheese adds a great zing to the overall flavor. With the quick crust, easy tasty toppings, and health benefits, this pizza is sure to be a favorite in your recipe box.
Perfect for a busy night, this pear Gorgonzola pizza with arugula will soon become a family favorite
- Fine yellow cornmeal
- All-purpose flour
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 2 Bartlett pears (halved, cored, and sliced ⅛ inch thick)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling (optional))
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with a light dusting of cornmeal. Lightly flour the work surface.
- Separate the pizza dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-inch circle and transfer it to a prepared baking sheet. Layer the sliced pears evenly on the 2 pizzas, leaving a ½-inch border all the way around. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the pizzas and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top. Bake until the crust is just starting to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the crumbled gorgonzola cheese all over and top with the arugula and an additional drizzle of oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Variation – White Pizza
Make delicious, simple mozzarella and ricotta pies. Instead of using the Gorgonzola cheese, pears, and arugula, drizzle each dough round with ¾ tablespoons olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Top each with ¾ cup shredded mozzarella and dot all over with ½ cup ricotta (about 10 dollops).
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Want more options? Add some slices of sautéed garlic and fresh torn basil leaves. YUM!
Pizza making accessories
The Ultimate Aluminum Pizza Peel. Orblue Dough Docker, Helps Cook Thin Crust Pizza Uniformly & Prevents Dough From Blistering Checkered Chef Pizza Cutter Sharp Rocker Blade With Cover. Heavy Duty Stainless Steel. Homemade Pizza Making KitPizza Stone for Best Crispy Crust Pizza, Rolling Pins for Baking Combo, Pastry Mat Kit With Chopper/Scraper