Lemon rosemary chicken is a great combination that makes for a delicious and healthy meal.
Our feature recipe is a one-skillet lemon rosemary chicken thighs recipe with broccoli, that’s packed with flavor and is oh-so-easy to prepare. While we prefer to use fresh broccoli, when you’re short on time, it’s great to have frozen broccoli on hand.
Healthy Fast Food
Rosemary is a potent herb with more than good taste. Check out this article on our gardening website about rosemary oil benefits and uses.
Healthy homemade food doesn’t always have to take a lot of time. We like to always keep a bag of organic broccoli in the freezer for when time is short but you still want a good and healthy meal.
The classic pairing of fresh rosemary and lemon gives a Mediterranean flare to this dish, while the addition of sautéed shallots adds a subtle depth to the flavors.
When paired with fresh or frozen broccoli, you have the makings of a satisfying, low-carb meal that’s likely to become a new favorite.
For optimum health benefits, consider free range and antibiotic free chicken and meats.
Steam, sauté or stir fry a bag of frozen broccoli for quick and easy healthy fast food.
- 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium shallots, sliced thin (or 1 small sweet yellow onion)
- 1 c. chicken stock, (we prefer organic)
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 2/3 tsp. dried)
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen broccoli (or 1 lb. fresh florets)
- 1 medium organic lemon, sliced and cut into small, thin wedges
1. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Swirl to coat bottom of pan.
2. Unroll chicken thighs and season each side with salt and black pepper. Add seasoned chicken to hot skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until chicken is golden brown and releases easily from the bottom of the skillet. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a plate. Cover and keep warm.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining butter and sliced shallots to skillet. Sauté shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Bring liquid to a boil while using a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan. Add chopped rosemary leaves and continue cooking until liquid is reduced by about half, approximately 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Return chicken and its juices to the skillet, along with the frozen broccoli and thin lemon wedges. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is crisp tender and chicken is cooked through. (Internal temperature should read 165°F on an instant-read thermometer).
6. Remove from heat and serve immediately with a spoonful of pan sauce drizzled over each chicken thigh. Garnish with additional lemon wedges, if desired.
ROSEMARY OIL for BUTTER & HERBS:
You can use rosemary oil instead of butter if you prefer a healthier, more Mediterranean version. If using rosemary oil, taste broth during the simmer phase. Add fresh or dried rosemary if more rosemary flavor is needed. Omit adding if rosemary flavor is enough.
ONIONS for SHALLOTS:
If you don't have shallots, you can uses any of these alternates for good effect.
- 1 small sweet yellow or Vidalia onion
- 2 green onions - sauté the white portions and add the green parts at the simmer stage
- Chives - top chicken with chopped chives on the plate before serving.
More Great Chicken Recipes
- Creamy spinach stuffed chicken
- Best Roasted Chicken Recipe
- Smoked Chicken Wings Recipe With Dried Ranch Dressing
We have an article on our gardening website on the healthy benefits of rosemary if you’re interested in learning more about that.