Egg Casseroles Are Like a Baked Omelette Square
The egg casserole is a very easy and widely adaptable recipe, that’s quick and easy to make. And this egg bake with broccoli and cheese recipe is a staple breakfast casserole in our home.
In fact, egg bakes are literally a daily favorite in our house. We can enjoy the hardy healthy breakfast of eggs and vegetables without the extra time it takes to stand at the stove making individual omelettes for each family member.
One Recipe – 12 Servings for Several Meals for Several People
As we’ve shared in other recipe notes and intros, we love to double, triple and even quadruple recipes so that we can get the most benefit out of the one cooking session. We call it planned overs.
As a family of four, this 12 serving recipe serves four of us over three days of meals. When it’s just two or three of us, it can last most of the week, serving three people for four days or two people for 6 meals.
with 24 eggs, 12 pieces means each serving is a 2-egg serving plus veggies, so it’s a good size.
Including if someone wants two pieces then it’s like a 4-egg omelette
This egg bake with broccoli and cheese recipe is so good that we never get tired of it, plus you can change the accompanying side dishes to add more variety if you get bored eating the same thing over several days.
When Home Cooked Meals Save Time
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to prepare. That’s about how much time it would take you to stop by and grab breakfast on the go for a day or two. This will last you over several days, plus it’s a whole lot healthier than fast foods or pastries from your favorite coffee shop.
But if you love pastries, you can also easily make your own for when you want a sweet breakfast treat. Our cheese danish recipe is super easy, popular and always a winner.
Imagine waking up with a delicious broccoli, cheese egg bake already prepared and just needing a minute or two in the microwave to be ready. No more skipping breakfast to be on time.
Just bring out the breakfast casserole and plates, and you’ll have your morning meal already!
If you love omelets, you’ll love this egg bake with broccoli and cheese, that can easily feed a family for days in a fraction of the time, it would take to make individual omelets.
Egg bake recipe – easy breakfast
- 6 cups Broccoli chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (white or portobello)
- 2 large onions chopped
- 24 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 1.5 cups Mexican cheese shredded (that’s one 6 oz bag)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil for sauteing
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for coating baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- BROCCOLI: Chop broccoli into small florets and chunks, including stems, but chop off the tough ends and peel the skin from the thick portion of stalk. Place in bowl of water to soak/wash.
- ONIONS: Dice the onions by hand or in food processor and add to saute pan. Begin sauteing on medium-high heat if you wish to caramelize them, or wait to add other veggies.
- DRAIN BROCCOLI: Scoop broccoli out of soaking water and place in colander to drain. We use that soaking water to pour onto our houseplants (in winter) or yard/garden plants in summer.
- MUSHROOMS: Clean and slice mushrooms if not already sliced. Add to saute pan.
- SAUTE: Add drained, chopped broccoli to saute pan and saute over medium heat until tender, around 10-15 minutes.
- EGGS: Crack the eggs into a bowl or large blender. We use large organic free range pasture raised eggs.
- VEGGIE LAYER: Once the veggies are done, spread veggie mixture evenly in the oiled casserole dish.
- CHEESE LAYER: Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the veggies.
- EGGS: Pour seasoned eggs over the veggie cheese layers.
- BAKE for 45-50 minutes. Casserole is done when golden and firm on top middle
- TYPE: Feel free to substitute with your favorite cheese.
- QUANTITY: We used to use two 6 oz bags of grated cheese, so feel free to add more if you’re not concerned about the calories and fat content and want it to be extra cheesy. We discovered that it is still delicious cheesy enough with just one 6 oz. bag.
- EASILY CHANGE CUISINE:
Just substitute the Mexican seasoning for your cuisine of choice, such as Italian seasoning and Italian cheese blends, or French seasoning and cheeses.
- Egg bakes are like omelettes in that there are any number of variations to use that are equally good, so feel free to experiment using whatever you have on hand.
We’re have a garden and love vegetables, so our favorite side dish with the egg bake casserole is roasted vegetables. We love all vegetables, so we roast whatever we have in the fridge that’s fresh, organic and in season.
You can prepare your favorite veggies using this same super simple oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipe, (whether or not it includes Brussels) and it’s winner every time.
Side Dishes That Go Great With Egg Bake
This breakfast bake with veggies is substantial enough to enjoy alone. However it also goes wonderfully with other complimentary side dishes.
Any One or More of These Are Great With an Egg Bake Breakfast or Brunch
- Roasted vegetables, including roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Steamed vegetables with (or without) lemon butter, (3 Tbsp. salted butter to 2 Tbsp lemon juice)
- Arugula salad or Dandelion salad, (these can make it a great lunch or dinner meal as well)
- Black Rice or Wild Rice (wild rice is expensive, so we save by buying wild rice in 5 lb bags)
- Berry bake – as a lovely mildly sweet finish to a healthy breakfast
Here are some favorite breakfast bake meals.