This candy cane Christmas cookie recipe is the perfect marriage of comfort and festive. It’s a family favorite around here and it will become your favorite too.
It’s great for gifts, parties and just to have around during this special time of the year.
Loved by both kids and adults, these candy cane cookies are a must this Christmas season!
Candy Cane Christmas Cookie Recipe
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 3 whole peppermint candy canes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Put your candy canes in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into pieces. I actually used a hammer, it worked better for me 🙂
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and egg and mix well.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (excluding the powdered sugar) until dough forms.
- Gently mix in the crushed candy canes until just combined.
- Pour powdered sugar on a large plate.
- Roll a tablespoon sized amount of dough into a ball and roll it in the powdered sugar, shaking off the excess.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and the cookies have a matte sheen to them. Remove and let sit for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
More Christmas recipes
Have you ever had turtle candy? YUM! your family will love it. See the recipe here.
For snacks throughout the day,while preparing Christmas dinner, have a little Christmas crack. Yep! It’s as addictive as the real thing without the terrible side effects 😉
If you’d rather have some savory treats, try these savory tartlets.
And if preparing for a big crowd, these easy Christmas appetizers will give you plenty of ideas that are tasty, as well as easy to make.