Perfect for Christmas time treats and baked gifts, this candy cane cookie recipe is the perfect marriage of festive comfort food.
Great for gifts, parties and just to have around during this special time of the year. Loved by kids and adults alike, these candy cane cookies are a must this Christmas season!
We hope you love them too… Please let us know!
For chocolate lovers you can add chocolate chips or chunks. For gluten free baking, simply substitute the all purpose flour for gluten free all purpose or baking flour.
We prefer these soy free, allergen free chocolate chunks by Enjoy Life, especially for chocolate chunk cookies. However, for smaller chocolate bits, we use the Enjoy Life miniature chocolate chips.
For converting this traditional candy cane Christmas cookie recipe into gluten free cookies, simply substitute all purpose wheat flour gluten free all purpose. Our favorite is Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour but there are a number of gluten free all purpose flour options these days.
Candy Cane Christmas Cookie Recipe
- 3 whole peppermint candy canes
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter softened (unsalted or salted)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Put your candy canes in a plastic zip bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into pieces.
We prefer a hammer, but pound gently enough not to break the bag. You can also minimize tears by placing a towel over the bag before hammering.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and egg and mix well
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (excluding the powdered sugar) until dough forms.
- Gently mix in the crushed candy canes until just combined.
- Pour powdered sugar on a large plate.
- Roll a tablespoon sized amount of dough into a ball and roll it in the powdered sugar, shaking off the excess.
OR, roll out dough style and use Christmas shaped cookie cutters. If making shapes, sprinkle powdered sugar on cookies on sheet rather than rolling them.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
If adding chocolate, mix in with batter, or, place one chunk per cookie in the middle of the cookie once it's on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and the cookies have a matte sheen to them. Remove and let sit for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Christmas Candy Cane Cookie Recipe
You may also enjoy these Christmas turtle candies. Warning… they go fast, so be sure to make extra!