Easy to make, Snickerdoodles are traditional Christmas sugar cookies enjoyed by many families.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of fine-grain kosher salt
- Buy colored sugar crystals, or make your own colored sugar crystals for less. To make your own, place a cup of sugar crystals in a jar, add a few drops of your choice of food coloring, place lid and shake. You'll need one jar per color. Or, you can omit the color altogether.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat liner.
- With a hand mixer, blend together the butter and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and mix to incorporate. Sift into another medium bowl the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Using a wooden spoon, mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, until incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 1” balls, and alternately coat the outside of each with the different colored cinnamon/sugars (see photograph above). Place cookies onto a baking sheet spaced 1” apart, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes; remove to a cooling rack, and repeat until dough is gone. – Enjoy!