These stuffed veal rolls are full of goodies that make your mouth water. The marinara sauce blends so well with the paprika and onion that it can confuse your taste buds. The smokey touch adds so much and the meat is so tender. They also look so appetizing.
Stuffed Veal Rolls Are Delicious!
I had eaten several kinds of stuffed meats. There is stuffed turkey rolls, stuffed chicken breast and others. I didn’t really know what to expect from this recipe, but it looked too good to resist.
To be honest, as far as I knew, I hadn’t ever eaten veal. I wasn’t even certain what kind of meat it was. The definition on my computer says that it is the flesh of a calf used as food. And a young cow has very tender meat.
The red or purple onion in these gave the usual wonderful flavor plus added color to enhance the beauty of the finished entree.
I had never heard of smoked paprika until this recipe and I couldn’t imagine the taste.
When I took this out of the oven, I was happily surprised at how pretty it looked. And especially for my first attempt. I could hardly wait to taste it.
Dinner time! My five year old took a bite and had a stunned expression. He then grinned so big and stated, “Mom, this is so awesome.” He ate all on his plate and asked for seconds.
So often, we see recipes that look good but also look too difficult to even try. That can be a big regret for our palates.
Sometimes, we don’t want to try a new recipe because we don’t know enough about it, or we don’t understand all of it.
If that’s how you feel about this one, put that feeling to the back of your mind and remember the words of a child, “Mom, this is awesome!”
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 tsp sweet or hot smoked paprika
- 12 ¼ inch thick slices veal scaloppini (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly ground )
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, 1½ teaspoons of the salt, and the oregano; sauté 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. When slightly cooled, add the bread crumbs and egg; stir well.
- To make the smoky tomato sauce, in a medium bowl, whisk together the marinara, lemon juice, and paprika. Spread half the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Season the veal with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Place a heaping tablespoon of the stuffing on the end of each slice of veal and roll. You may need to secure the rolls with toothpicks. Place the veal rolls seam side down in the pan.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the rolls, cover with foil, and bake until veal is tender and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Both the veal and the stuffing should be at 165°F on a instant-read meat thermometer.
Here’s another stuffed veal recipe you might like 😉