Mornings can be hectic, so this make-ahead overnight apple cinnamon oats recipe means one less thing you need to do before you start your day.
This is an easy recipe to put together, and the slow cooker or instant pot makes it all the easier. Take that extra 15 minutes before bedtime to put it all together for an easy overnight apple cinnamon oats breakfast treat and it will start your day off on the right foot.
As an added bonus, this healthy and delicious overnight breakfast recipe will have your house smelling like freshly baked apple pie when you wake up in the morning.
Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
- 1 c. steel cut oats
- 3 c. water or milk or nut milk for richer, creamier flavor
- 1 c. fresh apple cider
- 2 medium apples cored and diced
- 1½ T. honey preferably local (or sub. maple syrup)
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ t. ground allspice
- ½ t. salt to taste
- To serve:
- 1 medium apple cored and diced
- ½ c. pecans chopped, or sweet pecans
- Real maple syrup
- Add oats, water, cider, apples, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt to greased or lined slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Actual cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker, so check for doneness after 5 hours and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- To serve, allow to cool slightly before spooning into bowls and topping with fresh chopped apples, pecans, and some real maple syrup, if desired.
Fall is prime apple season, and the combination of apples, cinnamon and oatmeal almost smell like fall. But thanks to the wonderfully sturdy apple fruit and efficient supply chains, we’re able to can find these year round nowadays, including organically grown apples, which is our staple go-to.
For another wonderful fall fruit, try the fuyu persimmon. We’re growing fuyu persimmons and they’re wonderful! You can often find them in Costco in fall, and you can pretty much do everything with them that you can with apples or peaches. But try it fresh first and foremost to get to know this amazing fruit.
Please let us know how your overnight apple cinnamon oats recipe turns out.