My family loves chips: all kinds, especially the greasy, unhealthy ones they can easily find at the checkout counter. So, I’ve been on a quest to find healthier options for them. These oven baked sweet potato chips are not only healthy, they are absolutely delicious!
You might also like these zucchini chips.
How To Make Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips
OXO Good Grips Adjustable Handheld Mandoline Slicer It takes a little trial and error to achieve the perfect crispy texture when making baked potato “chips.” Without that coveted, crunchy exterior, you’re left with the equivalent of a thinly sliced baked potato.
And while it might taste delicious, it just doesn’t deliver that satisfying crunch you’ve been craving.
The good news? The method used in this recipe achieves the results you want.
The trade-off is it takes a little while to happen, so be sure to allow plenty of time for this one.
It can take up to 2 hours from start to finish, but the results are oh so worth it.
Crispy baked sweet potato chips recipe
- Non-stick olive oil spray
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- sea salt, to taste
- mandoline slicer (preferably)
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Using a mandoline, knife or vegetable peeler, cut sweet potatoes into uniform slices approximately 1/8” thick. Place on paper or clean kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture and set aside.
- Line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray paper with non-stick olive oil cooking spray before arranging sweet potato slices in a single layer on top. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place baking sheets in oven for one hour. Remove sheets and flip each chip. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Return pans to oven, being sure to rotate each sheet and place on a different rack from before.
- Check on chips after 20 minutes. If they are not yet crispy, continue baking until they become crisp and golden brown. (Total baking time will vary by oven and how much moisture is in your sweet potatoes. They should be ready within another 20 – 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Once cool, store excess in an airtight container.
YUM! these chips are so good!
If you’d rather have some spicy baked sweet potato chips, you can add some heat. My husband loves a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, but you can also add red pepper flakes, black pepper, Tabasco sauce, or whatever you have in your spice rack.
Have fun adding different spices every time you make the chips. Enjoy!