These tasty low-carb breakfast muffins are the perfect make-ahead meal for those busy mornings when you don’t have 5 minutes to spare.
Just whip up a quick batch or two to freeze over the weekend and you’ll have a hearty, satisfying breakfast that you can just grab, defrost,
Low-Carb Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- 12 oz. spicy pork sausage
- 12 whole eggs
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3 green onions thinly sliced, green portion only
- 8 oz. four cheese Mexican blend finely shredded
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Special equipment: two 12-cup muffin tins
- 1.Preheat oven to 350˚
- 2.Crumble sausage with your hands into bite-sized pieces into a large skillet. Over medium- high heat, cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat.
- 3.Crack eggs into a large glass bowl and beat thoroughly with a fork. Add cooked sausage, Portobello mushrooms, green onion, ½ cheese blend, salt and pepper. Vigorously stir with a fork to blend all ingredients.
- 4.Spray both muffin tins thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray and scoop ¼ cup of egg mixture into each container. (You should have enough for approximately 16 muffins)
- 5.When finished, top each cup with equal amounts of the remaining Mexican-blend cheese.
- 6.Place in oven and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing from pan. Serve immediately or place in freezer-safe container to freeze for later use.
- 7.Yields 16 medium-sized muffins.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!