Here is a warm and satisfying twist on a classic Caprese salad. Fresh basil doesn’t hold up well to heat, so pesto sauce is used instead. You can used prepared pesto for this recipe, but for best results, try it with this fresh basil pesto recipe.
You can use either fresh or dried mozzarella in this recipe. Fresh is really delicious and it melts beautifully, but it has a higher moisture content. As a result, there may be some excess moisture in the pan after baking.
Mediterranean-Inspired Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 6 large Portobello mushroom caps stems and gills removed
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ pint grape tomatoes washed, dried, and cut in half
- ½ c. fresh or bottled pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish optional:
- Aged balsamic vinegar or glaze
- 1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2.Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pastry brush, brush olive oil on outside of each mushroom cap, and around the interior and edges.
- 3.Place oiled caps on lined baking sheet and evenly divide the mozzarella cheese between them. Top each cap with sliced grape tomatoes and drizzle with pesto. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, according to taste.
- 4.Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar or a thicker glaze, if desired. Serve immediately.