Some dishes are accepted by our family, but this 5 star cheeseburger casserole is loved by everyone, including the cook: ME!
It’s not only delicious, but also easy to make. I usually assemble it ahead of time and can cook it quickly after a busy day.
5 Star Cheeseburger Casserole
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (your family’s favorite shapes)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (this is my favorite onion chopper)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- one pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4-5 large Roma tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot according to packaged directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the ground beef and fully cook through until brown. If using 95% lean ground beef, there is no need to drain. But if you are using a less fat version, drain the fat and return to the stove.
- Stir in the seasoned salt, ketchup and mustard until well combined.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 2 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the cooked and drained noodles to the meat and stir well.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and evenly sprinkle the cheese across the top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and slightly cool before serving.
- Top with chopped dill pickle.
Adapted from Bakerette.com
If you like easy casseroles, you’ll love this chicken breakfast casserole!