Many cultures regularly enjoy cooked cucumber and it’s a great way to expand the uses of fresh cucumbers. This stir fried cucumber with peppers and garlic is a great example of an easy way to enjoy cooked cucumber.
This recipe, is naturally adaptable to however you choose to prepare the cucumbers. We prefer to use organic cucumbers, scrubbed clean and sliced, either as matchsticks or half rounds. You can also slice the cucumber as noodle-like slices or rounds, depending on your preferences.
Can You Cook Cucumber?
Yes, you can cook cucumber and it is surprisingly delicious cooked! When we first tried cooked cucumber using this stir fried cucumber recipe, we were amazed at how good it is.
I don’t know why we grew up never knowing that you can cook cucumber, and that it tastes great cooked!
There are many ways to enjoy cooked cucumbers. When we asked our audience if they’d tried cooked cucumbers, one reader responded favorably, saying:
“Heck yeah! Steamed with pork sausage, garlic and tamari or oyster sauce.“
If you’ve never tried cooked cucumber, you’re in for a treat with this Asian stir fried cucumber recipe. If you have cooked cucumber before, then you know it’s good and you’re also in for a treat with this recipe!
Stir Fried Cucumber With Peppers and Garlic
- 4 cups cucumber (or 3 large cucumbers)
- 1 tablespoon black garlic* chopped (or roasted garlic, chopped or minced)
- 1 tablespoon hot red peppers* thinly sliced in half rings (or 1/4 cup red bell peppers)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon spring onions finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon honey (or agave or other sweetener
- 1/2 cup coriander chopped (more or less to taste as garnish)
- SCRUB outside of cucumbers (or peel).
- SLICE cucumbers in half lengthways and gently scrape out seeds with if preferred. (We usually leave them in). Then slice 1/2" thick slices.
- SPRINKLE cucumber with salt and mix well, then place in a colander to drain while gathering and preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- COOK – Heat wok or large frying-pan over high heat, then add cooking oil (olive or other favorite), ginger and spring onions, and toss to stir for less than a minute before adding the rest.
- ADD VEGGIES & SEASONINGS – Add in sliced cucumbers and the rest of the ingredients, (EXCEPT not the honey or sesame oil). Stir fry for another 30 seconds until well coated.
- ADD WATER – And continue to stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until most of the water has evaporated and the cucumbers are cooked.
- ADD SESAME OIL & HONEY – At this point, add the sesame oil and garnish with coriander. Serve immediately.