Labneh is a soft cheese made from strained yogurt. It is easy to make at home by simply adding a bit of salt and straining the excess whey with the help of a strainer and some cheesecloth or other porous fabric.
Tip: If you don’t have time to prepare the labneh for this recipe, you can substitute goat cheese or even cream cheese for a less tangy alternative.
Honey-Roasted Figs with Labneh & Pistachios
- 2 c. whole-fat plain yogurt
- ½ t. salt
- 8 large ripe figs cut in half lengthwise
- 3 T. local honey divided
- ¼ c. pistachios chopped
- 1. To make the labneh, combine yogurt and salt in a small bowl and stir until blended. Line a metal strainer with several layers of cheesecloth and position strainer over a large, deep bowl.
- 2. Transfer yogurt mixture to the lined strainer and cover. Place in the refrigerator to drain for 1-2 days. (The longer the yogurt is strained, the firmer the labneh will become).
- 3. To prepare roasted figs, pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking sheet. Arrange sliced figs on baking sheet, cut side up, and drizzle with some honey.
- 4. Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and roast for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- 5. Top each roasted fig with a spoonful of fresh labneh and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios. Drizzle with some local honey and serve immediately.