If you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying alternative to fried potato chips, you are in the right place. These crispy kale chips are super easy to make, but there are a couple things to keep in mind before you begin.
The first consideration is finding the right combination of oven temperature and cooking time.
Quick Tips for Making Great Kale Chips
Kale chips will burn very quickly, so keep a close eye on them, especially the first time you make them.
Here, a 325-degree oven and 6-7 minutes was all that was needed to yield crispy chips that weren’t soggy or overly bitter and brown. However, you’ll want to test this closely in your own oven to find the right balance.
For best results toss at least once during cooking. Tossing to stir will help prevent thinner edges from burning and redistribute thicker clumps for more even baking.
Next, the kale needs to be completely dry before popping it in the oven. Moisture left on the leaves can create steam, which leads to soggy chips. So spin them numerous times in a salad spinner.
Also, don’t overdo the olive oil. Add a small amount and massage it in until each leaf is very lightly coated. We like tossing by hand and massaging in the oil, or you can toss and coat well using salad hands or salad tossers.
If more oil is needed, add it in very small increments until you can see that each leaf is shiny with a thin coating of healthy cold pressed virgin olive oil. We us a LOT of olive oil for cooking and salad dressing, so we get the large 101 oz bottle of Pompeian cold pressed virgin olive oil from Costco, or it’s available on Amazon and most grocers.
Finally, feel free to experiment with any combination of seasonings you desire. Basic sea salt is perfect on its own, but in this case the addition of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and ground cumin adds a little more depth to the flavor.
Crispy Seasoned Kale Chips
- 2 large bunches kale tough stems removed and torn into chunks
- 1½ - 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- 2. Wash kale leaves and dry completely before adding to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to combine while rubbing each leaf with your fingers to make sure it is evenly coated in oil.
- 3. Sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cumin on top of kale and season with sea salt, to taste. Toss until evenly combined.
- 4. Arrange seasoned kale leaves on prepared baking sheet in a single layer, being careful to not overcrowd them. Work in batches, if necessary.
- 5. Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and bake for 5-6 minutes before rotating the pan. Bake for another 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove chips from oven when they are still mostly green, with only a tiny bit of brown developing.
- 6. Let chips sit for 2-3 minutes to crisp up a bit more before serving. Enjoy!