This rustic and hearty Tuscan sausage potato soup with kale and white beans is substantial enough to serve as a main course. The sausage and seasonings add a lot of flavor, while chunks of potato are filling and satisfying.
We like to keep the skins on ours for the extra nutrients, but you do whatever works for you. Pair with a crisp, green side salad to add a light and nutrient dense dinner, and/or serve with traditional Tuscan bread, easy focaccia bread or your favorite and be prepared for a hearty and delightful dinner!
Because of the use of kale, potatoes and beans, this Tuscan Sausage Potato soup is often a favorite fall and winter soup amongst gardeners growing kale and other fall and winter garden vegetables.
What is Tuscan Soup?
Tuscan or Toscana soup is from the Tuscany region of Italy. Popularly generic like minestrone or borscht, there are variations by region and chefs, and many families have their favorite tried and true recipes.
Some ingredients common to most Tuscan soups include vegetables such as kale and potatoes, light beans such as white cannellini beans, and seasonings like fresh rosemary and garlic. Tuscan soups are further enriched with olive oil and either sausage meats and/or rich cheese for savory fats such as parmesan rinds.
Tuscan soup is also often served with a plain hard crusted bread to dip into the broth and soak up some savory broth.
You can substitute the meat sausage for something like a Beyond Meat Sweet (or hot) Italian Sausage, for a vegetarian “sausage” potato soup.
You can see how rich and scrumptious this soup is. It’s a winter winner every time.
Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
- 4 oz. pancetta cubed
- 2 lbs. bulk mild sausage
- 2 15- oz. cans cannellini beans*
- 6-7 c. chicken stock divided
- 1 T. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes peeled and cut
- into small chunks
- 3 ” hard Parmesan cheese rind
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ c. half and half tempered**
- 3 c. fresh kale finely chopped
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1. Brown pancetta in large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage to the same skillet and brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from pan. Transfer pancetta and sausage to a 5 or 6- quart slow cooker crock.
- 2. Puree one can of cannellini beans (undrained) in a blender or food processor. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the puree and whole beans to slow cooker crock.
- 3. Add 6 cups chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes, and Parmesan cheese rind to crock and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove lid and add tempered half and half, kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and remaining chicken stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.