Anyone who prepares holiday turkey will have extra turkey leftovers that need using. Turkey sandwiches are awesome, but you can only eat so many of those. Plus in winter, a hot soup is always welcome, so this turkey and white bean soup with spinach, is a great way to use up leftover holiday turkey.
Here, traditional egg noodles are replaced with white beans and an assortment of fresh vegetables for a
hearty and delicious dish.
Enjoy by itself for a light lunch or pair with a crisp, green side salad, like this easy wedge salad or the more exotic roasted fennel salad for a more complete meal. However you serve it up, this soup is a heartwarmer!
Spicy Leftover Turkey and White Bean Soup
This soothing turkey and white bean soup is a delicious, and nutritious comfort food.
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large leek diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 t. dried parsley
- 2 t. dried oregano
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- 4 c. organic chicken stock
- 3 ” Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 c. water
- 2 15- oz. cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 c. cooked turkey shredded
- 2 c. baby spinach coarsely chopped
- Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley chopped
- PREP VEGGIES according to description in ingredients list.
- HEAT the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- ADD garlic, onion, leeks, carrots, and jalapeno.
- COOK, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and develop a bit of color, approximately 6 – 8 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- HERBS & SPICES – Add bay leaves, dried herbs, and cayenne pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the herbs become fragrant.
- BOIL – Add chicken stock, parmesan rind, water, and cannellini beans to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for ~20 minutes.
- ADD shredded turkey to the pot and cook until heated for ~4 minutes, until meat is heated through.
- STIR in chopped spinach, then…
- REMOVE from heat. The spinach will well enough without over-cooking and destroying nutrients.
- TWEAK seasonings, as desired. Serve immediately with some shaved Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- We hope you enjoy this recipe! We'd love to hear how it turns out for you and to see any pictures you'd care to share.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
What to Do With Leftover Turkey? Here are Some More Favorite Turkey Recipes:
- InstantPot Turkey Chili With White Beans
- Leftover Turkey Casserole
- Turkey salad in pita pockets – you can substitute the chicken in this recipe for turkey