Most are familiar with basil pesto, but sage pesto with walnuts is another wonderful palate please pesto to make and enjoy in a variety of ways.
Pesto sauce is SUPER SIMPLE to make, so don't let the number of steps throw you. We just added extra info to make it clear and to give you options. The basic recipe is really simple and easy... our favorite kind!
- 1 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest (zest of one lemon)
- ½ teaspoon salt (we prefer sea salt)]
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- If using toaster oven to toast your nuts, you can go ahead and put those into the toaster. (See #8a below)
- SOLID INGREDIENTS: Add sage, parsley, garlic, walnuts, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped or process until smooth, according to your preference.
- NOTE: If you prefer a smooth texture, see Notes section below. If not continue in this sequence.
ADDING OIL: With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil.
- ADD CHEESE: Turn off motor and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- STORE in the fridge for up to a week, or can in jars to keep for longer, following your favorite canning instructions and process.
- For canning to preserve foods, you can also use the Instant Pot Max with the home canning option.
- TOAST walnuts, either in a skillet or toaster oven until fragrant and golden or lightly browned, but not burnt, shaking pan or tossing with spatulate to stir.
7a. IN SKILLET: roast over medium-low heat, tossing periodically (about 5 minutes).
7b. IN TOASTER OVEN: set to toast for ~4 minutes, watching carefully after 3 min. to avoid burning, or bake at 350°F for
Remove from heat and allow to cool before using in the recipe.
- COMBINE all ingredients.
SMOOTH or TEXTURED? We like our pesto to have little bits and pieces instead of completely pureed. So if that's your preference as well, then:
- Process pesto veggies, nuts and seasonings until chopped or minced to desired texture, but not smooth.
- Transfer ingredients to a bowl and stir olive oil in manually instead of pouring it into the food processor to blend until smooth. Blend well.
- Add fresh grated parmesan cheese and continue to stir until well blended.
Amount Per Serving Calories 310Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 11mgSodium 500mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 6g
Nutrition information is approximate.