This delightful cranberry spritzer beverage is a delicious way to celebrate the winter holiday season. But this is equally delicious in summer using frozen cranberries or even just cranberry juice.
Here, the classic flavor combination of cranberry, orange, and cinnamon is complemented by the unexpected addition of cumin and a hint of rosemary.
If you enjoy wine or cocktails, you can add wine for a wine cooler effect or a little vodka for a fun adults-only treat. Or skip it for a pleasant “mocktail” everyone can enjoy.
Cinnamon and Cumin-Infused Cranberry Spritzer
- 1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ c. honey
- ½ c. water
- 2 T whole cumin seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 c. unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 medium organic oranges each cut into 8 wedges
- ½ c. Champage
- 3 c. sparkling water
- Optional Garnish:
- Additional cinnamon sticks
- 6 long rosemary sprigs lower leaves removed, and threaded with fresh cranberries
- 1. Add cranberries, honey, water, cumin seeds, and cinnamon sticks to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until the honey is melted and the spices are intensely fragrant.
- 2. Remove from heat and transfer to a large glass or other non-reactive bowl. Add cranberry juice, orange wedges, and vodka, if using. Refrigerate for several hours to overnight.
- 3. Once thoroughly chilled, remove from refrigerator and firmly squeeze each orange wedge into the bowl to capture the juice before discarding. Strain mixture with a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- 4. To serve, fill serving glasses with ice and add enough of the seasoned cranberry juice mixture to fill each glass about 1/3 full. Top off each glass with sparkling water and stir to combine. Taste and sweeten with additional honey, if desired. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and/or rosemary skewers and serve immediately.