Pecorino Romano is a well known and distinctive Tuscan cheese made from 100% sheep’s milk. It is sometimes used interchangeably in recipes with the more mild Parmesan. However due to Pecorino’s stronger flavor profile, this isn’t really an ideal
Here, the stronger flavor of Pecorino Romano is balanced with an equal amount of Parmesan to create a flavorful cream sauce that isn’t overwhelming. Of course, the ratio of Pecorino to Parmesan can be easily adjusted up or down to suit individual tastes.
Chicken with Pecorino Cream Sauce
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 large cloves garlic smashed
- ¾ c. half and half
- 1 c. chicken broth preferably organic
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1/3 c. Pecorino Romano cheese freshly grated
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ c. sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1½ c. baby spinach
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Place chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to a uniform thickness. Discard plastic and transfer chicken to a clean work surface. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- 2. Heat olive oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for several minutes until golden brown. Remove garlic with a slotted spatula and discard.
- 3. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- 4. Add half & half and chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Add oregano and grated cheese to skillet and whisk until cheese is completely melted, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- 5. Reduce heat to just below medium and add the sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tomatoes are softened and the spinach wilts.
- 6. Add chicken and its juices back to skillet and simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until chicken is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Remove from heat and serve immediately with a side of Tuscan White Beans.