This delicious, healthy slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken recipe is as easy as it is versatile. Flavor-packed, this chicken is perfect for burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, or over a bed of flavorful cilantro-lime rice. Oh, so delicious!
Tip: Don’t skip the squeeze of fresh lime juice after cooking. It really brightens the flavors and pulls them all together.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
Serves: 4-6This delicious, healthy slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken recipe is as easy as it is versatile. Flavor-packed, this chicken is perfect for burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, or over a bed of flavorful cilantro-lime rice. Oh, so delicious!
- wo lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 10- oz. cans Rotel fire-roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies un-drained
- 2 15- oz. cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1½ T. hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 limes quartered
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro chopped
- Unroll and add chicken thighs to bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock. Top with tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine, making sure the chicken thighs are coated and submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before done cooking, remove lid and shred chicken while in the slow cooker with two forks. Stir to combine shredded chicken with other ingredients. Cover and cook for remaining 30 minutes to allow chicken to absorb the flavors.
- Remove lid and squeeze fresh lime juice into the crock. Add cilantro and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture over plain brown rice or cilantro-lime rice. Top with cilantro-lime sauce if desired. Serve with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!