- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-2 TBS. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (I use medium grind)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, plain yogurt, or sour cream (or in a pinch, a combination of any of those things)
- 2 eggs
- 4 TBS. butter, melted (you can also use olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet (the best option for a yummy, crispy crust, but you can also use a glass baking pan).
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cornmeal.
- Beat together the buttermilk (or yogurt or sour cream), eggs, and melted butter.
- Place your greased skillet or baking pan into the oven to preheat while you mix the batter.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients with a few swift strokes (aka don’t mix it to death).
- Pour the batter into the preheated greased pan. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean and the top is started to turn golden. Serve slices of cornbread with butter and honey, alongside your favorite soup or chili!