- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Rest: 5 minutes
- Total: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 burgers
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup pareve ranch dressing
- 3 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 sesame buns, split and toasted
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
- 8 heirloom tomato slices
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 8 large frozen onion rings, prepared according to package directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until caramelized and translucent, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. While the onion is cooking, make the special sauce: In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, ketchup, and dressing. Stir to mix well.
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Place the onions, ground beef, and ½ cup special sauce in a large bowl. Mix lightly with your fingertips to combine. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form them into patties. Season both sides lightly with salt and pepper and brush them with oil. Cook the burgers for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare, or to desired doneness. Remove the burgers from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. (To cook on the stovetop, heat a grill pan over high heat, brush the burgers with oil, and cook as directed, or heat the oil until shimmering in a sauté pan or griddle over high heat and cook as instructed.)
5. To assemble, place each burger on the bottom half of a bun. Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 to 2 tablespoons special sauce, 1 tomato slice, pickle slices, 1 onion ring, and the top of the bun. Serve immediately.
6. Store any remaining special sauce in a resealable container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.