- 9 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or half vanilla bean)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup dark rum
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for serving
- Put egg yolks, 3/4 cup of sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and whisk constantly until the mixture is pale and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, bourbon, and rum until combined and remove from the heat. (We actually had to transfer the mixture into an even bigger bowl at this point.)
- Beat egg whites and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Whisk into the milk mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Whisk into the milk mixture.
- Refrigerate the eggnog until ready to serve, up to one day. Whisk to combine before serving as it may separate some. Ladle into cups and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.
*Note: The eggs in this dish are not fully cooked, so take caution when serving it. It shouldn’t be served to pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Source: Martha Stewart Living Annual Recipes 2005