Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
You will need:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 3/4 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water (or chicken broth if not making vegetarian)
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used one dark red, one light red)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a large enameled cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, cooked quinoa, water (start with 1 1/2 cups then add more later if desired), green chiles, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, paprika, sugar, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot and allow to simmer 30 minutes.
- Add in all beans, corn, cilantro and lime and cook until heated through.
- Serve warm with optional toppings and sides (cheddar, sour cream, diced avocados, saltine crackers or tortilla chips).