Spiced Tomato and Red Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 quarts low-salt vegetable or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
- 2 14½ ounce can petite-diced tomatoes
- 1 pound (2½ cups) dried red lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart or larger Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until the onions are soft and just beginning to brown, stirring occasional. Add the garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, celery, carrot, garlic, cayenne 1teaspoon kosher salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, so the lentils don’t stick. Skim any foam. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 35 to 40 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are all tender. Check soup for seasoning, and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and chopped cilantro to garnish.
Don't be selfish, Share: